Miami Water Damage Claims
Serving Clients in Miami, Palm Beach & Surrounding Areas
Has your home or building suffered water damage? This is one of the most common and destructive types of property damage, but, because water is a vital component of any home or business, anything from bad weather to poor plumbing can quickly lead to serious water damage. Your policy likely covers sudden events like a burst plumbing pipe, air-conditioning leaks, shower pan leaks, plumbing back-ups, and other types of plumbing issues and weather-related damage, like storms, hurricanes, tropical storms, tornados.
If you need to file a water damage claim, contact Cernitz Law to discuss your legal options with our attorneys right away. With over five decades of combined experience and thousands of insurance claim cases handled statewide, we are a leader in the field of commercial and residential insurance claim litigation in South Florida. Our Miami water damage claim lawyers can help you to inspect the damage, file your claim, and negotiate a payment you deserve so you can receive the maximum payout you are owed.
What to Do If Your Property Sustains Water Damage
If your home or business has sustained water damage, take care of the following as soon as possible:
- Make note of urgent repairs needed. You’ll want to make any temporary fixes that are necessary to keep your property from sustaining further damage. Otherwise, save any major fixes for after your claim has been filed.
- Collect as much evidence of the damage as possible. Take photographs and/or videos of any property damage from as many angles as possible. If you have photographs on hand that show how the affected area looked before the damage, collect those as well for comparison. Also, hold on to any bills, receipts, emails, and any other documentation related to the damage for your records.
- Immediately notify your insurance company of the loss and damages. Contact Cernitz Law as soon as possible to assist with notifying the insurance company.
Water Damage FAQs
Cernitz Law is here to answer all your water damage claim questions! Continue reading for answers to some of the most frequently asked questions we hear about water damage claims. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have further concerns.
What is the difference between flood damage and water damage?
Water damage is typically covered on standard homeowners’ policies; flood damage is not. The has a lot to do with the “origin” of the water damage. If the damage was caused by an internal factor, such as a burst pipe or roof leak, the damage will likely be covered. However, if the damage was caused externally—by a storm surge, for instance—and to more than one property, this will likely be considered separate “flood damage” and may not be covered. If your policy does not cover flood damage, you can obtain flood coverage through a public entity such as the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
How do I know what my policy covers?
Every insurance policy is different and different perils may or may not be covered. Perils and risks that are generally covered include sudden and accidental discharge, overflows, and storm-related water damage. Damage caused by sewage backups and floods may or may not be covered, depending on the policy.
What should I do if my claim is denied?
In many cases, insurance providers will attempt to deny coverage—even when home and business owners file rightful claims. Many insurance companies avoid paying out a just claim, and as a policyholder, you may take legal action.
How Can an Attorney Help With My Water Damage Claim?
At Cernitz Law, we assist clients with all aspects of water damage-related homeowners’ and commercial insurance claims, including:
- Reviewing your policy to determine if your losses are covered
- Assisting in initial homeowners’/commercial insurance claim filings
- Litigating denied, underpaid, or bad faith insurance claims
- Representing clients in insurance agent negligence cases
When you trust your claim or dispute to our attorneys, we take the time to gather information, prepare for trial, and build a solid case on your behalf. Over our years in practice, we have seen it all, so we know what is at stake and what it takes to help you secure the full amount you are owed.