Miami Hurricane and Windstorm Damage Claims
Serving Clients in Miami, Palm Beach & Surrounding Areas
Has your home or business been damaged by a hurricane or windstorm in Florida? Hurricanes, tropical storms, tornados, and windstorms can cause devastating water and wind damage to a property’s interior and exterior. Unfortunately, filing an insurance claim to cover the damage can be time consuming and mentally taxing, adding insult to injury.
The team at Cernitz Law is here to help. Our hurricane/windstorm damage lawyers based in Miami-Dade County and Palm Beach County have years of experience with maximizing insurance settlements for clients throughout the State of Florida. We are prepared to do whatever it takes to secure the compensation you deserve, even if it means taking your insurance company to court.
If you are in the midst of an insurance claim resulting from one of the following recent Florida hurricanes or windstorms, our legal team can help you receive compensation from your insurance company:
- Hurricane Irma
- Hurricane Michael
- Tropical Storm Eta
How to File a Property Damage Insurance Claim in Florida
If your home or business is damaged due to a hurricane or windstorm in the state of Florida, it is important to do the following as soon as possible:
- Review your insurance policy to ensure the damage your home or business has sustained is covered. An attorney can help you review your policy to determine the full amount in compensation you are eligible for.
- Contact Cernitz Law immediately to assist you with notifying the Insurance Company of your loss and damages.
- Make a list of and/or photograph/video everything that has been damaged. This way you have your own inventory of what needs to be repaired and/or replaced.
- Compile photos that show the condition of your property before the loss and damages, if possible.
- Have your own evaluation of the damages to compare to the insurance company’s
- When the insurance adjuster visits to inspect the damage, join them to ensure they don’t miss anything.
- Make any temporary repairs necessary to protect your property from further damage, such as patching up roof leaks. However, don’t make any permanent repairs until instructed by your insurance company.
- Save all receipts related to temporary repair expenses. Additionally, save any other correspondence or documentation related to your insurance claim and any communications with your insurance agent or anyone else for that matter.
Hurricane Damage FAQs
The Cernitz Law team is always happy to answer your hurricane or windstorm damage claims questions. Read on for answers to some of our most frequently asked questions we hear about water damage claims, and feel free to contact us if you have additional concerns.
Does my insurance cover hurricane damage?
Possibly, although it depends on your specific coverage. If your home or other property has been damaged by wind, insurance policies generally cover this by default. However, many policies won’t cover water damage caused by flooding or storm surges unless you have flood insurance.
Is flood damage included in hurricane coverage?
Typically, no. Flood damage caused by a hurricane will not be covered by your homeowners insurance policy unless you have flood insurance.
When would a property insurance claim be rejected?
Your insurance claim can be rejected for many reasons, such as:
- You didn’t file your claim properly
- Your policy was canceled due to non-payment of premiums
- The cause of property damage isn’t covered under your policy
However, keep in mind that at times insurance companies may delay or deny claims simply because they do not want to pay them. If your insurance provider ignores or undervalues a claim that you believe to be legitimate. An attorney can help you fight for the compensation you rightfully deserve.
Call Now to Learn More During a Free Consult
Insurance companies can be a major hassle to work with following a disaster such as a hurricane or other windstorms. They may be inundated with claims, especially after a major storm, which can cause your claim to be delayed or undervalued simply because they do not want to deal with it. Additionally, your insurance company may ask you to provide a wealth of information, such as proof of loss (where you attest to the amount of the damages being claimed), bills, receipts, and other documentation that shows you owned the damaged property in question and what the damages are.
At Cernitz Law, we can help you prepare and submit a proof of loss and determine the true value of your claim. We can also help you with the rest of the claims process, including if your claim has been denied or underpaid or even if the insurance company refuses to make a coverage determination. So, if your insurance company is refusing to make any decision or ignoring communicating with you, please do not hesitate to contact us right away for advice or representation.
What Clients Are Saying
Cernitz Law did an excellent job representing us on a property and casualty insurance matter and I wouldn't hesitate to engage them again in the future. They were extremely professional and we were very pleased with our results.- Tom W.
Great knowledgeable attorneys who get you winning results! The insurance company denied my homeowner’s property damage claim leaving me with the bill for the repairs. Justin personally handled my case, answered all my questions, and got me a great- Brian B.
Very professional, answered all our questions always responded in a timely manner. Accomplished what he said he would do. Very happy with the service we received.- Kathy D.